The area’s rich modern-day history began in 1825 when the United States negotiated a treaty with the Creek Indians, giving Georgia Governor Michael Troup the go-ahead to subdivide this Creek territory into five counties, one of which was named Troup in honor of the governor. Troup County was officially opened for settlement in 1827, and LaGrange was incorporated as the county seat in 1828. West Point was incorporated four years later, in 1832, and Hogansville, in 1870. Troup County became known as a leading center of trade and commerce.
LaGrange was named for the estate of French and American hero General Marquis de Lafayette, whose extensive travels brought him through this lovely, west Georgia enclave. During one of his visits to Georgia, General Lafayette is said to have commented to Governor Troup that the landscape here reminded him of his own estate in France. Adding a touch of French flair to the former Creek lands, the townsfolk chose LaGrange as the name most fitting this new city destined for success.
The Civil War brought challenges to the area, but Troup County emerged stronger than ever and, by the turn of the century, its textile industry was beginning to burst on the scene as an economic force that sustained the area for close to a century. Sharecroppers looking for a better living moved to LaGrange, Hogansville and West Point to work in the new cotton mills. Neighborhoods formed around these mills, and the fabric of the area’s community life was woven.
Today, textiles continue to play a role in the area’s economy, but a diverse range of other industries have located here, including the Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia, Inc. plant in West Point. As when it formed, Troup County continues its tradition of working to ensure quality lifestyles for all who call this particular piece of heaven, “home.”